SAFEGUARD install

T

tribecamom

Can anyone comment on the ease of installation ff with the belt in a Ody captains chair (or otherwise)

I am still sitting on the fence

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I plan to see one on person this week at a local retailer. If I have time, I will install it in my 2006 Odyssey EX-L.

T

tribecamom

thanks Darren, I am thinking of one for each

captains chair, but I don't want to ship them back

PS I love my odyssey--thanks for all the great information on it

T

tribecamom

Darren, did you get the see the SafeGuard?

I am completely obsessed with this decision

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sorry- I haven't forgotten about you. It just didn't happen this week:-( I'm hoping to make it there tomorrow!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I had a chance to try the Safeguard Seat today. It was cold, so I only installed it in the 2nd row captain's chair, both with seatbelt and LATCH. It fit fine in the 2006 Odyssey leather seats- here is a quick summary from 20 minutes of looking it over and installing it:

LATCH install is a snap- rock solid in 20 seconds as advertised
Harness system is as easy to adjust as they claim
Nice side impact head support
Cover and padding seem very nice

Dislikes:

Lap/shoulder belt install took time and was just acceptable in our Odyssey
Seat is very upright (even more than our Husky)
Crotch strap slot appears close for older kids, but strap lengthens automatically with height adjustment.

So, compared to a Husky/Regent, it would be a close call for me if the price was not a factor. Both are great seats and have their own advantages. When the price is considered, I'd probably opt for the Husky in my particular situation, since I know I can get it installed solidly with the seatbelt in the Odyssey without much of a problem. The higher top slots and roomier crotch strap slot are nice for my son, who will be 8 this year and is somewhat taller than average. For a parent with a different vehicle, smaller child, using LATCH or wanting a much better harness adjustment, then the Safeguard is certainly easier to use and will probably be less prone to misuse from a typical parent. As always, the right choice depends a lot on the vehicle, child and parent.

Keep in mind my impressions are from just a few minutes with the seat in one vehicle. Deborah ( http://www.car-seat.org/member.php?u=396 ) has a lot more experience with the Safeguard seat as she has owned one for some time. You might send her a PM if you are still considering one. I think at least a couple other parents here own one and have positive comments about it, too.

I attached a couple photos below. Unfortunately, I only had my cellphone with me and the camera is pretty lousy. It's actually a nice match for the grey leather interior. The tether strap is not attached in the photo, and the install is with LATCH.

Attachments

• 14-01-07_1220.jpg
    14-01-07_1220.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 14-01-07_1221.jpg
    14-01-07_1221.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 35
T

tribecamom

thanks so much Darren

since one of my two is hovering at 39.5 pounds (and therefore I need a seatbelt install), it sounds like I should get her a husky and my DS a marathon/Dec or Blvd...when DS outgrows the marathon, either DD will be ready for a booster or there will be something else for DS

by the way when I called Honda they told me there was no 40 pound limit on the latch system, but I am using the seatbelt to be safe

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It looks less wide than the Husky at the base, but a lot bulkier. How do the seats compare in size (I'm asking you rather than Deborah since you have a Husky and it's been a while since she's had hers). How does it compare in size to, say, a Boulevard? Dd has had a sudden growth spurt and is 37 lbs. She's gained 4 lbs. since July.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It seemed a little lighter than the Husky, but about the same in bulk. I should have taken a side by side photo but I didn't think about it:-(

I also didn't take top slot measurements as I figured someone else would have them. I suppose that might be an advantage over the Boulevard for a bigger kid who needs to use the seat as long as possible.

LuvBug

I believe the most recent mom on the board who bought a safeguard said the top slots were 19.5" compressed? I get 20-20.5" for our husky(as well as the husky goes to 80lbs and the safeguard to 65lbs so if you have a heavy kid). HTH

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
That's a couple inches more than the Britax 65 pound seats, at least. My son's shoulders were above the top slots in the WZ at 50ish pounds. I'd guess DD will make it to around 50 pounds, also.

maidencomfort

My 8yo is above the slots in our BLVD, and has quite a bit more room in the safeguard. Plus, the SG has SIP, where the husky/regent doesn't, and doesn't swallow a smaller child/just turned toddler. And it's good for 7 yrs rather than 6. THose benefits. plus the other cool things is what made me get another one for my 6yo, and move the 3.5yo to the BLVD.

Also, we calculated the per year cost of the 2 seats (BLVD and SG) and the blvd was $50/yr, and the SG was only $10/yr more, even cheaper because I had a coupon (wonder if the code works for others - it did say family and friends, lol).

So there's my take on the SG. I really do love the seat, and that it is even easier IMO to use than the BLVD. The headrest adjusts much faster, making it VERY easy to use for different kids, and the padding is squishier on the seat, making it more comfortable for the kids. Just really a lot of features, plus harnessing so much higher, than made it a better option for us than the BLVD or Regent - it's like the 2 seats combined, and because I have light kids, I don't need the 80lb limit (my 10yo is just 60, lol).

HTH someone, and wasn't a huge ramble!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
maidencomfort said:
HTH someone, and wasn't a huge ramble!

Not at all! In fact, we could use some reviews of the newer seats like the SafeGuard and Radian in the Reviews Forum (hint!) ;-)

mstarr

CPS Technician
Safeguard or Husky in Rear Seat

Darren, After installing the Safeguard and having a Husky, would you use one over the other in the middle of the 3rd row in the Odyssey? I have a friend who will need to put one child in the 3rd row when she purchases her 06 Ody EX-L soon and she's shopping for the seat. Her son is about 4-1/2 and on the taller and skinnier side and over 40 lbs. already. She is wanting the safest option possible and will splurge as necessary for the best seat. I was worried that the Husky/Regent may be too wide for the center of the 3rd row or that the drop down seatbelt will be problematic once he's too heavy for the latch install. Most of the time he will be the only one back there. She is feeling guilty that he won't be "as safe" in the 3rd row and will do whatever is necessary to protect him.

Also, I just got the EX-L Odyssey, which I love so far, but had some trouble using the latch on the 2nd row captains seat. My son is only 44 lbs so I can get some time out of the latch. Have you ever had trouble with the Britax connectors on your latch bars? I had trouble with my rf Wizard as well--looks like you have the same set up based on your Safeguard pics. you posted. Didn't know if the leather will ease up or if I'm just going to have to learn to struggle with them a bit.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have not tried the Husky in the third row of the new Odyssey. I didn't have time to try the SafeGuard back there, either. I'm thinking something like a Britax Parkway might be just fine for the center of the third row seat unless the 4.5 year old is very squirmy.

I have not yet had any problems with the LATCH system in our Odyssey, but I've only had it a few months and tried a few seats in it. Technically, Honda has a 40 pound limit on the anchors, so I've switched to the seatbelt at 40 pounds on the Husky and Wizard.

T

tribecamom

weight limit on Honda Latch

are you sure this applies for the 2006 Hondas too--I called CS and they said the 40 pounds was not correct

U

Unregistered

tribecamom said:
are you sure this applies for the 2006 Hondas too--I called CS and they said the 40 pounds was not correct

No, I'm not positive. I'll ask and let you know for sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC