The OFFICIAL Britax Frontier Spoilers & Speculation thread (part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyRee

Add me to the list of Frontier returns. It istalls great with LATCH, but no way with the belts.

I have a Subaru Forester and honestly, a lot of seats give me tourble in the center position (no center LATCH and weird belt).

Poo.

ADS

michelle3802

We ordered one from Elitecarseats.com. Fed Ex tracking says it is out for delivery right now. We should have it in about two hours. We have for vehicles a....

2005 Ford Explorer
2001 Suzuki XL7
1997 Jeep Wrangler

son has a

1978 Pontiac Grand Lemans

I will be trying it in all those vehicles so I will let you know. We've been using primarily Radians and or Britax convertibles in those vehicles for Karley. Lyndsey is now in a booster and the GN. We havn't tried anything in the Lemans yet.

I will let you guys know how we make out. Wish me luck all. :eek:

I purchased return ship insurance just in case.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the 2005 Explorer. I have a 2004 Explorer and they're the same car. Is there any way you could try it in the third row (if you have one)?

jwren

Has anyone tried to take it to a technician yet to get a solid install, in case we are missing something. Has anyone contacted Britax yet about this issue, if so what do they recommend, I am sure they will have to fix it, but I wonder if inthe meantime you could use latch and belt (I know normally a nono but I wonder if it would be ok in this case being it's not a solid install with belt alone..yet the latch would make it solid and the belt would help the extra weight..) just a thought. I want to order this seat today, but if noone can get a solid install I am not sure what to do. How do you know if your car has the right type of belts to make a good install? Has anyone tried this seat in a new ford expedition or a lincoln nav...I wonder if they could get a good install in the newer cars, or if that even matters.. What is it that makes this not tight... I am so confused.. thanks;)

Lys

Senior Community Member
Has anyone tried to take it to a technician yet to get a solid install, in case we are missing something. Has anyone contacted Britax yet about this issue, if so what do they recommend, I am sure they will have to fix it, ;)

Um Hello? :mad: I AM a Technician. I have been for over 3 years!
And yes, I have contacted Britax. I have not heard back yet about the incompatibility issue.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Has anyone tried to take it to a technician yet to get a solid install, in case we are missing something. Has anyone contacted Britax yet about this issue, if so what do they recommend, I am sure they will have to fix it, but I wonder if inthe meantime you could use latch and belt (I know normally a nono but I wonder if it would be ok in this case being it's not a solid install with belt alone..yet the latch would make it solid and the belt would help the extra weight..) just a thought. I want to order this seat today, but if noone can get a solid install I am not sure what to do. How do you know if your car has the right type of belts to make a good install? Has anyone tried this seat in a new ford expedition or a lincoln nav...I wonder if they could get a good install in the newer cars, or if that even matters.. What is it that makes this not tight... I am so confused.. thanks;)

One of those who has had problems in 2 of her vehicles IS an experienced technician, another one was previously a technician. (skills don't necessarily die just because you don't re-certify. ;)) Looking at the belt path, this is a seat problem and not a user problem. :(

And No, it would absolutely not be ok to use both LATCH and seatbelt. If you need a seatbelt install and can't get a tight one, then the seat is incompatible and that's all there is to it.

It's the belt path that is causing problems with installation. And it's the combination of seatbelt geometry and buckle stalks that are causing the problems - distance from the seatbite, length of buckle stalk, whether it can be twisted or not etc. etc. I'm sure in the case of this seat the width between the buckle and seatbelt stalk will also be another factor.

Until more people post their experiences with specific vehicles, it'll be tough to determine if it'll be compatible with a specific vehicle. But from the looks of it, if you have forward of the bite buckles with long'ish buckle stalks, there's no way it'll work. The basic problem being that the belt path is behind the seat, so if the buckle stalk is having to go backwards and in behind the seat it's not conducive to creating a tight install.

Aside from going back to the drawing board, the only thing Britax can really do to fix this, is to revise the instructions to allow a reverse belt path - assuming the seat would test well with it. Other than that, they can't do anything for those seats already in production - the belt path is part of the mold and if they change the mold they would have to completely recertify the seat. (Not to mention the stopping production etc. in between. ;))

jwren

Um sorry, but it's hard to keep up with this thread, I missed that...I do remember reading from a few others that they wanted to take it to a tech and have it checked so I was referring to those posters... Well thanks anyway..:(

Um Hello? :mad: I AM a Technician. I have been for over 3 years!
And yes, I have contacted Britax. I have not heard back yet about the incompatibility issue.

jwren

Thank you for a very good an detailed explaination, that is what I was looking for...you made this easier for those of us (who are not techs) to understand..:thumbsup:;)

One of those who has had problems in 2 of her vehicles IS an experienced technician, another one was previously a technician. (skills don't necessarily die just because you don't re-certify. ;)) Looking at the belt path, this is a seat problem and not a user problem. :(

And No, it would absolutely not be ok to use both LATCH and seatbelt. If you need a seatbelt install and can't get a tight one, then the seat is incompatible and that's all there is to it.

It's the belt path that is causing problems with installation. And it's the combination of seatbelt geometry and buckle stalks that are causing the problems - distance from the seatbite, length of buckle stalk, whether it can be twisted or not etc. etc. I'm sure in the case of this seat the width between the buckle and seatbelt stalk will also be another factor.

Until more people post their experiences with specific vehicles, it'll be tough to determine if it'll be compatible with a specific vehicle. But from the looks of it, if you have forward of the bite buckles with long'ish buckle stalks, there's no way it'll work. The basic problem being that the belt path is behind the seat, so if the buckle stalk is having to go backwards and in behind the seat it's not conducive to creating a tight install.

Aside from going back to the drawing board, the only thing Britax can really do to fix this, is to revise the instructions to allow a reverse belt path - assuming the seat would test well with it. Other than that, they can't do anything for those seats already in production - the belt path is part of the mold and if they change the mold they would have to completely recertify the seat. (Not to mention the stopping production etc. in between. ;))

jwren

Here is my belt path in my Navigator...this is a Marathon installed via belt.. from the looks of it, my belt path does not stick out, so am I to assume I might have a tight install with this belt system.. should I try it and see. thanks;)

PS: anyone doing these installs use tether? this seat of mine is also using tether... could that help the frontier install?

View attachment 1770

View attachment 1771

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants

No. If the seat does not fit in your vehicle, it will make a bad situation worse to attempt an unsafe and unapproved installation.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Here is my belt path in my Navigator...this is a Marathon installed via belt.. from the looks of it, my belt path does not stick out, so am I to assume I might have a tight install with this belt system.. should I try it and see. thanks

PS: anyone doing these installs use tether? this seat of mine is also using tether... could that help the frontier install?

I can't predict Frontier compatibility based on your pictures and would wait to try it in person in your car before buying if possible, or wait for more installation feedback from others with the same vehicle and/or similar seatbelts. It's still early days for the Frontier in terms of availability and feedback from techs and early adopters. :)

Moving on to the top tether question. The role of the top tether is not to make a loose installation tighter or to remedy an incompatible installation. The tether's role is to reduce head excursion, and the child restraint needs to be installed with less than one inch of movement at its belt path before the top tether strap is connected and tightened. The tether is the icing on the cake so to speak, and not the foundation for an acceptably tight installation.

jwren

Thanks I know that was a dumb question, I should have known better, :eek: anyway look at my last post with the photos and tell me what you think, looks like my belt stalks are inset so I am wondering if maybe I will have a tight install with the frontier, trying to decide whether or not to order it to try it ..

No. If the seat does not fit in your vehicle, it will make a bad situation worse to attempt an unsafe and unapproved installation.

jwren

Ok good point on the tether ques... thanks;)
One last question on belt stalks, do mine look like inset low ones compared to the tall ones that other cars are having an issue with? If so and there is a chance I can get a good tight install I will be willing to go ahead with my purchase and let you all know how it does...in my car...as I was planning to buy this anyway. I will do the return shipping if I order it though, especially after all this.;)

Edited to add, I just ordered one from Elite..I will install it in my Navigator this week and post photos..I will let you know how it goes... thanks for all the advise...:)

I can't predict Frontier compatibility based on your pictures and would wait to try it in person in your car before buying if possible, or wait for more installation feedback from others with the same vehicle and/or similar seatbelts. It's still early days for the Frontier in terms of availability and feedback from techs and early adopters. :)

Moving on to the top tether question. The role of the top tether is not to make a loose installation tighter or to remedy an incompatible installation. The tether's role is to reduce head excursion, and the child restraint needs to be installed with less than one inch of movement at its belt path before the top tether strap is connected and tightened. The tether is the icing on the cake so to speak, and not the foundation for an acceptably tight installation.

Last edited:

jwren

I just regretfully cancelled it tonight because after all these issues with install I needed the shipping insurance, can't be paying $30 to ship it back. I never expected that I would have to consider shipping it back so that wasn't a concern previously. I have had constant contact with the company that I preordered and they were reserving one for me but were fine if I found it somewhere else first, it was no big deal. I was only ordering there to help a cause.. and I already explained once this issue is worked out they will be the company I buy the next frontier from, I plan to buy more for other cars and my other son.. so to answer your (as I took it sarcastic question) it's all good.;)

What happened to the preorder we've been hearing about for a couple months?

Lys

Senior Community Member
Here is my belt path in my Navigator...this is a Marathon installed via belt.. from the looks of it, my belt path does not stick out, so am I to assume I might have a tight install with this belt system.. should I try it and see. thanks;)

View attachment 1770

View attachment 1771

The belt path is the way the seat belt routes through the Frontier. The parts you are talking about in your vehicle are the buckle stalks.
From the looks of your pictures, I can't say if it would work or not.
The problem with the belt path of the Frontier is that it is flat against the vehicle seat back. So, that means the seat belt buckle in the vehicle has to pretty much line up EXACTLY with the hole for the belt path to get an acceptable install.
Does that make sense?
The reason the LATCH install works is because the holes from the belt path match up exactly with the LATCH anchors in the vehicle. It's as if Britax didn't test to make sure a seat belt would work, only LATCH.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I just regretfully cancelled it tonight because after all these issues with install I needed the shipping insurance, can't be paying $30 to ship it back. I never expected that I would have to consider shipping it back so that wasn't a concern previously. I have had constant contact with the company that I preordered and they were reserving one for me but were fine if I found it somewhere else first, it was no big deal. I was only ordering there to help a cause.. and I already explained once this issue is worked out they will be the company I buy the next frontier from, I plan to buy more for other cars and my other son.. so to answer your (as I took it sarcastic question) it's all good.;)

Not sarcastic at all. I don't keep up on all these threads. It was just a bit fascinating that after all the hype for product and retailer, another retailer was being considered and now the product may not even be an option at all.

Anyway, no problem at all with someone changing their mind. We always encourage people to buy what will work best for them and find retailers with good return policies. In fact, this is another great data point for people when the next great child restraint is being hyped before release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC