Radian Install ?s Pics

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
Can you all look at these pics of the install of my new Radian. Specifically, the latchplate at the belt path. I'm not sure if it is bent into the belt path too much or it looks okay. The Radian is new territory for me, I'm used to the Britax. Otherwise I'm happy with the install. It moves slightly but not 1". It is installed in the captain's chair in a 2000 Grand Caravan so no LATCH. Hopefully it's okay. If it's not do you have any tips?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/starbuck22/Radian install/Picture010.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/starbuck22/Radian install/Picture011.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/starbuck22/Radian install/Picture013.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/starbuck22/Radian install/Picture008.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s295/starbuck22/Radian install/Picture015.jpg

ADS

cdncasper

The only thing I am going to ask is what kind of seatbelt do you have??? I have a 1999 Caravan and I need to use the H clip since I have ELR seatbelts.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That's exactly where mine rests for a RF seatbelt install as well. The buckle is not bent at all... looks good to me.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The only thing I am going to ask is what kind of seatbelt do you have??? I have a 1999 Caravan and I need to use the H clip since I have ELR seatbelts.

You do not need to use the H clip (also called a locking clip) as your vehicle has lightweight locking latchplates. Install your seat and then pull the seatbelt tight... it will be tight at the lap portion and the shoulder portion will still move freely. The seatbelt 'locks' at the buckle portion. If you look in the pics you will see a plastic piece right above the lap/shoulder portion of the belt in the buckle. This plastic piece slides down and locks the seatbelt into place when buckled. It does this automatically... go sit in the front passenger seat and buckle up. Then try loosening the lap portion of your seatbelt. You will only be able to do it by angling the buckle outwards (same idea as a lap belt only seatbelt buckle). I hope that made sense.

cdncasper

Both caravans that I have owned had that kind of seatbelt and I have always used the locking clip. I can get it tighter and it tends to loosen after a little while if I don't use them. I was told by a carseat tech that I needed them too. I thought all caravans needed the locking clip.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Both caravans that I have owned had that kind of seatbelt and I have always used the locking clip. I can get it tighter and it tends to loosen after a little while if I don't use them. I was told by a carseat tech that I needed them too. I thought all caravans needed the locking clip.

They do not NEED (not yelling, just emphasizing) the locking clip. They do tend to loosen over time so it is important to check the install.

Most techs will tell you it is actually easier to flip the buckle 180 degrees to keep it from loosening.

There is no danger in using a locking clip... it is just one more 'fix' you are adding to the seat and every 'fix' can result in error. I believe that most techs are taught to limit fixes as much as possible.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
They do not NEED (not yelling, just emphasizing) the locking clip. They do tend to loosen over time so it is important to check the install.

Most techs will tell you it is actually easier to flip the buckle 180 degrees to keep it from loosening.

There is no danger in using a locking clip... it is just one more 'fix' you are adding to the seat and every 'fix' can result in error. I believe that most techs are taught to limit fixes as much as possible.

Agreed!

To the OP, looks good. Do you have it tethered? That may take out that last smidge of movement.

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
I do have the seat tethered. I think that since the tether is a straight line and positioned different vs. the V shape on the Britax it gives slightly more than I'm used to at the top of the seat. It is definitely within the 1" at the beltpath though. Anyone else yea or nay the latchplate?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
This is what Caravan seatbelts look like, they don't need locking clips. It locks at the buckle.
Lwlpfron.jpg

skipspin

The latchplate is supposed to lock on it's own, like PP said. (The ones in my Jeep are just like yours and I've never had a problem.)

If you find that it's loosening over time or slipping then you can turn it once before buckling, or use a locking clip. Just make sure the locking clip is used correctly.

Glad you gotit to work.

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
I'm asking about where the latchplate falls against the Radian. See opening post. I know I have locking latchplates and I don't need a clip. That was another posters question. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC