Cracked windshield - what to do?

mimieliza

So after getting hit by a rock, my windshield now has TWO large cracks in it (they extend half the length of the glass). Fortunately, neither one interferes with visibility. Glass repair place will not be able to get the windshield in until Wednesday and will need my car from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Oh, and it will be $403. And my deductible is $500. :(

We were planning on leaving for a six-hour road trip Wednesday afternoon. This would push back our departure quite a bit, probably until after 6:00 PM what with having to wait for DH to get home, pick up the car and load it. The auto glass guy said that without a doubt, it was safe to drive and he would recommend replacing it when we get back, due to the likelihood of getting another crack or chip from the gravel put down on the highways over the mountain passes.

Is this safe? What should I do?

Thanks!

ADS

southpawboston

it should be safe, as long as your visibility isn't imparied.

are you sure about the deductible? many policies make an exception for glass, allowing up to one windshield replacement per year with no decuctible.

sfeitler

it should be safe, as long as your visibility isn't imparied.

are you sure about the deductible? many policies make an exception for glass, allowing up to one windshield replacement per year with no decuctible.

Although sometimes it's an extra rider you have to pay for explicitly. We had one on our cars for a while here (they sand roads in Colorado, so cracks and chips are a way of life). I think we've since discontinued it, though, after discovering how long you can live with a crack in the windshield (years, if it doesn't block vision). :)

-Sarah

mimieliza

Oh, so good to hear. Yes, I thought that windshield replacement was a pretty standard feature of auto insurance, but come to find out it is not on our policy. They will repair the windshield for free, but not replace it.

jdchic3

Sometimes you can find coupons for windshield replacement. And generally it's really cheap, like $100 and they come do it at your home and then you just have to wait like an hour or something to drive it when they're done.

Insurance?? My insurance, and my other halfs both have free windscreen excess, as part of our policy, there is no cost to either of us and we both got entended glass cover due to our time with them. We also do not lose our no claims, we are with different companies too.
Also do you live in a city? or rural? My mother lives in a small town and got her screen done the next day, insurance covered hers too.

Good Luck for getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

beeman

The rules for replacing windshields:
-If visibility is impaired by the crack or "sandblasting"
-If the crack extend the full length of the glass and touches both sides
Remember there is 2 layers of glass, and the cracks are usually only on the first one
As for insurance, for a glass policy on my truck, the deductible is more than the windshield install costs :rolleyes: .

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I can't speak to the safety of waiting to repair it. Police might give you a ticket for a cracked windshield depending on the local laws, similar to equipment violations like a broken or nonworking brake/tail light. Hopefully this won't happen to you, but I know of some friends who delayed fixing their windshield for perfectly understandable reasons, and they ended up with the added cost of a ticket. :( Fingers crossed it won't happen to you. :)

southpawboston

The rules for replacing windshields:
-If visibility is impaired by the crack or "sandblasting"
-If the crack extend the full length of the glass and touches both sides

i think those rules vary from state to state and country to country. ;) in MA, there are quidelines as to how long the crack must be, where on the windshield it is, etc... i think there is some stupid rule about the crack needing to be longer than a dollar bill before insurance replaces it. but the funny thing is that most cracks that start off small will continue to grow. and if they don't, you can always "help" them along (using some friendly persuasion ;)).

i had one on my car that ran across the whole windshield, but it was very low to the bottom of the glass, like 3" from the bottom. insurance didn't want to replace it because it wasn't obstructing the view.

crunchierthanthou

Like the PPs said, replacement guidelines depend on where you live. Where I live, you can't have any cracks and pass inspection and you can have up to 12" cracks repaired (~$50). Where I grew up, there are no guidelines on cracked windshields- or inspections, for that matter.

Call your insurance. We have a glass rider, but it still has a $250 deductible (which is a deal considering our dang heated windshield costs about 3 times that). I second the suggestion to find someone who will come to you. In my experience, it doesn't cost any more.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I am going to go against the grain here and say get it replaced before you go. The windshield is an important structural part of your car and the cracks could compromise the car's structural integrity if you were to roll the car.

I recently attended a seminar on "The Danger in Front of Your Eyes," taught by Dave Long, the Airbag Detective. He spoke on why windsheilds are so very important. He also discussed how many glass shops are cutting corners on installations and placing our lives in danger. Here is a link to his article:

http://www.emsmagazine.com/web/online/EMSRespondercom-Columns/Windshields-Under-Fire-Danger-in-Front-of-Your-Eyes/20$4543

Whatever you do, make sure that your windshield repair place is following correct procedures and that your vehicle sits for the required amount of time after the replacement.
Hope that helps!!
Renee

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
wow, great read! i had no idea how important the windshield is in a crash!

I didn't either!!! I don't remember if that article links to any crash footage, but Dave Long showed a bunch of crash tests with/without windshields, with cracked WS, etc. The whole presentation, I felt like I was sitting there with my jaw on the floor. I had NO idea! I thought the WS was just that - to protect you from the wind, bugs, etc!!
Renee

Dizzymomma

You probably won't be able to change your deductable now but my insurance lady had us change ours. For a couple dollars for the year my deductable is now 50.00 for windows/windshields.

crunchierthanthou

That is a great article. However, the OP won't be able to get it done on her way out of town:

Urethane takes time to cure; most urethanes are time and temperature related and some may take hours to cure. The urethane adhesive should be fully cured before the vehicle is driven; remember the lap-shear strength idea.

I would call a mobile company right away and see if they can get you in this afternoon or first thing Wednesday.

mimieliza

I would call a mobile company right away and see if they can get you in this afternoon or first thing Wednesday.

Well, no, it's too late now. That was my original issue - if I could have gotten it done on Monday or today, I would have, but they need to order the windshield and it takes a few days to get it in. I live in a rural area. I called both a mobile and local company. I also called my insurance company on Monday, and I have a $500 deductible. No separate rider/policy for windows. :(

So we're driving with it as is and replacing it when we get back.

southpawboston

So we're driving with it as is and replacing it when we get back.

honestly, despite reading that article (and believing it!), i don't think a small crack on your windshield is going to compromise the overall structural integrity of your car significantly. the windshield will still do its job in the event of airbag deployment and rollover. i wouldn't fret over waiting until after your trip. but do check your tire pressures and make sure they have adequate tread depth left! :thumbsup: also make sure all your lights work and your headlights are properly aimed. :thumbsup:

tl01

So how does one know at what point your windshield should be replaced? A rock hit my windshield about a month ago. I didn't have time to get the crack filled immediately after the incident but the crach has not grown. I would say the crack is about .5 inches in diameter. Would such a small crack affect the integrity of my car. I was surprised after reading the article that the windshield serves such an important purpose. I would have thought the pillars would protect the occupants in an accident even w/o the windshield.

beeman

The rule up here for the crack touching the 2 opposite sides, came from the basis of structural integrity. When the crack runs the full length or height of the windshield, you loose all the strength of that pane of glass. Remember a windshield has 2 panes of glass laminated together, so if there is a small crack on one of the panes, the other pane is bonded to it, so the strength loss is minimal. Extreme losses of strength occur when a pane is cracked from side to side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC