Britax Marathon or Evenflo Triumph Advance?

blondchen

Newbie here. First post.

I am torn. I like the price and features of the EFTA but with Britax on sale right now I'm thinking the extra $$ for a Marathon might be worth it if it has better features overall. I've read other threads but I didn't see my specific questions addressed (as comparisons), and my decision may be hinging on these:
1. Harness adjuster. I've heard both good and bad about the EFTA - the knobs are easy to use but apparently they can be hard to access? Is the adjuster easy to use on the Marathon?
2. Installation. I have a 1998 Volvo V90 wagon, and it doesn't have LATCH. Is the belt install easier on the Marathon or EFTA? We won't be taking it in and out often, but this might make a difference.
3. Ease of removing/cleaning the cover. Is one more convenient than the other?

Any other issues that might make a difference for me?

Regarding the size of my child, DD is small and lean for her age (she's 10 months, 18 lbs and 27 inches) so if she continues that way I doubt she'd be outgrowing a seat early or need extra growing room. We plan to keep her RF as long as possible, though (and I do know that the EFTA has a slightly higher RF limit).

I would appreciate any input. Thank you!!

ADS

djma

I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I'll give my :twocents:

I currently own an EFTA and just recently sold my Marathon. I actually cringed when taking my marathon to it's new owner, but it had to be done.

I loved my marathon. Easy lap/shoulder belt install in my van. Easy latch install in my parents' car. I never had an issue reaching the harness adjuster while it was rf'ng. And of course, with the lock offs, I always got a rock solid install when used ff'ng. My reasons for selling it...I have 2 boys - 2 long torsoed and long-legged boys (as strange as that is) My oldest (who would ride from time to time in this seat) would complain about his little boy parts if it were a longer trip (30 min or more). My youngest (this was his primary seat rf'ng) did not deal well with having to bunch up his legs. I tried to teach him to sit criss-crossed or to prop his feet up on the back of the seat, but he just would cry and squirm.

Therefore my reason for getting an EFTA, more bottom and leg room. My youngest is still rf'ng and has plenty of leg room in this seat. It is more bowl-shaped, so he has room to spread out. My oldest who has only sat in this seat for one short trip (basically just to see how he fit) said he loved it. Installation takes a few more minutes than the marathon did, but it's still a good solid install with the lap/shoulder belt. About the same amount effort was required to install it with latch in my sister's van. I have not had any trouble reaching the adjuster knobs.

Removing covers is probably a tad bit easier with the EFTA since you don't have to re-thread a harness - but they're both easy.

If you have the possibility of needing to do a 3-across situation, the EFTA will probably not work. It is wider than the marathon.

I suggest if you have a Babies R Us nearby that allows you to try seats in your vehicle - that you take both out to your car and play around with them.

Good luck! They're both great seats!

natysr

If it were me.

During a Britax sale like this. I would buy the Marathon hands down. (Actually, I just bought my 2nd Marathon online yesterday for $201 w/ free shipping and no tax).

But, if it were not during a Britax sale time, and I needed another convertible, I would have a hard time choosing. I really do like the EFTA. I love my MA and would never part with it. So deciding what to get for my 2nd car would be hard.

ZephyrBlue

I'm more comfortable with Britax and their business practices (how they handle recalls, the extra testing that they do, the way they stand behind their product, etc) than I am with Evenflo, so I would buy the Marathon. For a rear facing child, I would definately choose the Marathon even at full price because of the ability to tether RF. I got one for $164.99 with free shipping last week during the sale, so very comparable to the EFTA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC