so what convertibles fit a newborn?

aja

does the radian fit a newborn ok? howabout the como ro signo? does anyone know the bottom slot heights on them?

i am pregnant with #3 and trying to decide what our next seat will be. i might still have our triumph then (i offered it to a freind who is due soon). if so i will use that and then get a blvd or como/signo. i might be able to use that until ds moves to a regent or similar and dd moves to the young sport. then i could put new baby in her blvd. if i don't have the triumph i will need something else to hold a newborn.

if i could find a solution that would fit 3 across in a subaru impreza wrx that would also be wonderful....but i kinda don't see that happening....

ADS

sunnymw

The Radian does :) And you can buy the Radian 65 since it's cheaper, and get the infant padding from the SK website seperately, and I think that'll still be cheaper than getting the 80. Unless you just want the 80 (the fabric is super plush ;) ) Not to mention it'll make the 3-across thing easier. And once your little babe is bigger and can fit in the Blvd, you can put a bigger kid FF and take advantage of that higher harness height :)

I've heard that newborns have a really hard time fitting in the BLVD--most don't fit until 3-4 months.

HTH!

ETA: The Radian and BLVD also puzzle really well in our car, both RF.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Congrats!!

The Radian does have nice low bottom slots.

The Recaro convertibles have a bottom strap height of 10", which is the same as the Britax seats. That's just too high to fit the vast majority of babies.

The Scenera has very low bottom slots. I sat a 3 lb 12 oz preemie in one and she was welll above the bottom slots, although the straps were about an inch away from tightening properly. With a 5-6 pound baby it would have been perfect.

The True Fit is also great for newborns, and has lots of infant padding. If I were to get a convertible for a newborn, this would be it. I'm not comfortable with how shallow the sides of the Radian are, down low by where the baby's head would be. But the True Fit is wicked wide, so 3-across would be nigh impossible :(

ETA: the EFTA also has very low bottom slots, but is very wide, and also the tabs bug some babies. My 3yo doesn't mind them since the tabs don't touch her neck, but my 16 mo hates them.

aja

yeah, i don't imagine a newborn would fit in the blvd well. great to know about the radian! i need to track one down to try out 3 across in the subaru.

i LOVE new baby carseat planning. :love:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
One problem to consider with a convertible is: Can you get a good newborn recline angle AND have any legroom up front for adult passengers? The Radian is fantastic, but it's a real space eater when RF at a newborn recline...

aja

good to kjnow about the true fit. sounds like the signo/como won't work then. i didn't know that about the radian shell depth. i have never seen one in person. i haven't seen a trufit either. now i really want to though. i had no idea a scenera would work so well for a newborn. i might get one to use just until the baby is big enough for a blvd or signo. :thumbsup:

aja

One problem to consider with a convertible is: Can you get a good newborn recline angle AND have any legroom up front for adult passengers? The Radian is fantastic, but it's a real space eater when RF at a newborn recline...
i'll have to keep that in mind. in my van it won't be a problem, but for my husband's subaru it could be. i know the triumph fits well with a newborn in any seat - we had that with our other kids. i suspect the tru fit would be similar to the triumph?

featherhead

For the True Fit you can leave the top headrest off until the baby is 22 pounds, or their head is 1 inch from the top, so I think it would be shorter than the Triumph. The problem would be when you have to put the headrest back on, if the baby is still young, you would still need the 45 degree recline.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC