Help?

Andie

Alright ladies, need your help. This was posted in another board I visit. I told her that I would ask some others about this issue. Here is her post:

"I reinstalled the SKR again, and let me tell you the HORROR of this seat in a 2001 dodge intrepid! With a seat belt. Not as tight as I wanted it, but still tight enough to be acceptable!
I get the the check fill out the paper work, give it to the guy and he says lets check out the booster first, I guess he assumed since I had Bradly with me, he was in a booster. I said he is in a nautilus. Oh he said, why? I told him I wasn't comfortable with the booster and after we had our accident, I said Bradly needed another seat and this is what we bought. He told me Bradly is old enough to sit in a booster with just seat belt. I told him I know that, he is safer in the GN! He then tells me he hasn't seen one properly installed since they came out! And he didn't want to uninstall it because I had it in so tight. We did take it out, because it is locking clipped so it is easy to put it back.

On to the SKR, Brayden was sitting in it, but it is 90 degrees here today, so I took him out of it before he could see him, I had to move his straps, which I saw myself. I then asked me how old Brayden is and I tell him 18 months, he tells me HE SHOULD BE FORWARD FACING! I told him the SKR RF until 33 lbs and that is when I will flip him around. He said IT IS NOT JUST WEIGHT, BUT HEIGHT TOO. Is his legs scrunched up at all, which by the looks of this picture, no they are not.

He then told me that when Brayden's legs get scrunched up, I need to flip him around. We did not uninstall this seat, as it took me 2 hours to get it in! And it was tight, and he said he didn't think he could get it tighter. Then he told me I can not have it RF tethered. He said they don't recommend RF tethering because the seat was designed to rebound into the seat back and tethering it will make the seat not work right. Then told me I can not have it tethered to my seat frame, that is bolted to the floor, it my car's manual doesn't specifically state it can be tethered there it can not. The manual for the SKR said to use the D-ring and wrap it around a nonmoveable part of the seat frame. so now I am afraid to have it tethered, i want the seat to work properly.
I am upset, as he wasn't EH or ERF at all. It feel like I know more than he said he does, yet he is trained through safe kids! Don't they teach them all about EH and ERFing? Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long vent!!"

Advice? It seems he is not up to date?

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Please send her here. That tech is not up-to-date at all, and obviously gave her questionable advice.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It sounds like she knows a lot about best practice, but that tech may not have. Like Gypsy said, she should come here. C.-S.-org's techs are the best! :D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She did everything right, the guy was a moron. She should report him. In tech classes we're taught that our goal is for children to leave safer than when they arrived. He would have made both of your kids significantly less safe. When I took my class there was little discussion of ERF and EH, but from what I hear now the curriculum is about best practice. He's decidedly out of date. I'd have her come here, and report him to SafeKids. 1-877-366-8154

Wendy

firemomof3

She did everything right, the guy was a moron. She should report him. In tech classes we're taught that our goal is for children to leave safer than when they arrived. He would have made both of your kids significantly less safe. When I took my class there was little discussion of ERF and EH, but from what I hear now the curriculum is about best practice. He's decidedly out of date. I'd have her come here, and report him to SafeKids. 1-877-366-8154

Wendy

****AMEN****

sunnyflower417

Andie, thank you for bring this to the attention to real techs who know what they are talking about! I have been lurking in this group for quite some time, and never thought to post here. I didn't get his name, could they find him with my seat info? I was so surprised to get such information I knew to be incorrect, I guess all my common sense flew out the window!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hey there Sunnyflower.

Did you sign a piece of paper? If so it's on record with his coalition. When I do checks, both for SafeKids and privately, I write my name and sign every single form. SK requires my tech number as well. So they'll have the paperwork with your name and address, type of car, and seat info (which he probably didn't get, did he. Did he check manufacture dates and look for recalls? There aren't any on your seats, but he should have checked.).

If he didn't write anything down (bad him, hopefully he'll get audited and lose his certification) then call the place or person who held the check, tell them what you were told, and see if they can track down the person. If he's the moron of the group they may have had other comments about him and so it may take very little detective work.

Wendy

Andie

Andie, thank you for bring this to the attention to real techs who know what they are talking about! I have been lurking in this group for quite some time, and never thought to post here. I didn't get his name, could they find him with my seat info? I was so surprised to get such information I knew to be incorrect, I guess all my common sense flew out the window!

You are welcome! I love this forum. I added you to my contacts list. :)

sunnyflower417

Hey there Sunnyflower.

Did you sign a piece of paper? If so it's on record with his coalition. When I do checks, both for SafeKids and privately, I write my name and sign every single form. SK requires my tech number as well. So they'll have the paperwork with your name and address, type of car, and seat info (which he probably didn't get, did he. Did he check manufacture dates and look for recalls? There aren't any on your seats, but he should have checked.).

If he didn't write anything down (bad him, hopefully he'll get audited and lose his certification) then call the place or person who held the check, tell them what you were told, and see if they can track down the person. If he's the moron of the group they may have had other comments about him and so it may take very little detective work.

Wendy

I did sign, he did check for info, I don't know if he check DOM but he did check the other info so I assume he did check dates, he had a piece of paper with recalls he did glance at. So it seems he just doesn't know about ERF or EH.

sunnyflower417

Talk to Safe kids certification super in Washington. JJ Currant. We have to do some detective work, as I didn't get his name, but he is VERY concerned about his lack of education! Got the ball rolling! Hate to get him in trouble, but what if a young mom went to him and he told her all this stuff and she didn't know any better? I also heard from another Tech Friend they are supposed to take out each seat and reinstall them. He didn't take out the SKR!

mish

Everyone else answered all your questions, so I just want to say good for you. Good job ERF and EH. And obviously you do a really good job installing your seats.

sunnyflower417

Everyone else answered all your questions, so I just want to say good for you. Good job ERF and EH. And obviously you do a really good job installing your seats.

Thank you! As you know it is hard work to install seat correctly. I sweat my butt off every time! The last time I pulled a muscle in my foot, not sure how is happened and cut my shin. It is a dangerous sport!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thank you! As you know it is hard work to install seat correctly. I sweat my butt off every time! The last time I pulled a muscle in my foot, not sure how is happened and cut my shin. It is a dangerous sport!

LOL! It is a dangerous sport. :p

Several of the techs here have commented that they know they had a "productive" day when they are covered in bumps and bruises.

I know I have had my fair number of injuries from installing seats and that is just my own seats! :p

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I hate hearing these stories about the techs that don't encourage ERF or EH!

BTW, you don't need a locking clip since you have locking latchplates :whistle:

sunnyflower417

I hate hearing these stories about the techs that don't encourage ERF or EH!

BTW, you don't need a locking clip since you have locking latchplates :whistle:

I have tried to get the locking latchplates to work, and I can't. So for my own peace of mind I use the locking clip! I have been told this on several occasions, and I just can't get it to work :( I have told my husband we need a new van, so I can have LATCH for the SKR. I have a feeling it would be so much more easier!

cookie123

Just curious, Did they talk much about best practice in your class? When I had mine - it was the new curriculum - almost 2 years ago. They did not really touch much on erf or eh.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC