What are the bottom slot heights on the ETA & the Radian 80?

catfeet

I've been looking for 2 hours, everywhere on line and can't find the info...

TIA,
Ann, who's decided to pick some brains smarter than hers

ADS

catfeet

There's my problem, in a nutshell. The pictures look great, everyone's saying they fit well, but there are no measurements!!! :eek: Anywhere!

So, I figured I'd ask. I'm hoping someone, maybe KetchupQueen, will tell me what the infant insert on the Radian 80 changes the measurement to...

Thanks!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think they're both around eight inches, but the infant inserts in the EFTA and RN80 help snuggie little babies up to where the strap slots fit well.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So? Say it's 7 with the padding. ;) Still better than some infant seats (though it's 6 for the Snugrides, and I think the Evenflos are like 5? Too low for most newborns...). And better than a Britax with the 10 inch bottom slots....(which I'd still use, that kid isn't going to ramp out of that seat if the harness is tight...)

catfeet

Yes, I'm re-working the SafeRide News Preemie carseat sheet for our tech update class. I need to get all the current seats and their lowest harness heights added to it, as it's one of the big requests we've been getting for tech update, that being "what are the new seats and how do they fit tiny babies?"

In lieu of giving an answer, we'll be giving out a sheet that's got the measurements so parents can choose themselves. Because we work closely with and have techs in most of nursing staff of about 15ish hospitals, it's important to respond to their needs.

And, because my boss has been out sick (really sick)on and off for 2ish years, she's laid this at my feet. So, I'm putting this together. I'll happily share it with you all if you'd like copies.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Very cool project! I'm almost positive SK's official measurements are without the cover... I get one inch lower on all slots with the 80 cover on it, without the extra padding.

Pixels

Unfortunately, just measurements won't reflect that two different seats might measure the same, but fit the same kid very differently. I think it's the best you can do, though. Great project!

catfeet

So, for those of you who want it, voila! The Low Limit Height & Weight Carseat Doc. If you see anything wrong, lemme know & I'll change it.

Ann:) Glad to be done!...ACK...I see my formatting didn't translate well. PM me if you'd like a clean copy

Low limit height & weight carseats
These descriptions include the lowest weight for any given seat and the height of the lowest harness slot as measured from the bight of the seat. Unless otherwise specified, all seats are infant seats.

Car seats with weight limits under 5 lbs:

Britax:
Companion 7.25 inch bottom slots, 4 pound lower weight limit The head pad must always be used for side impact protection, newborn foam insert available for babies under 7 pounds – order from Britax​
Chicco:
KeyFit (original) and KeyFit 30; Both seats have 6.5” bottom slots with newborn insert, 7.25” bottom slots without and a 4 pound lower weight limit. Use of newborn insert for babies from 4 to 11 pounds is highly recommended. It creates a slightly more reclined position for a newborn which can help keep the baby’s head from falling forward​
Combi:
Shuttle From birth, no lower weight limit.
Learning Curve (Compass):
Via 4 pound lower weight limit
I-400 4.75” bottom slots, 4 pound lower weight limit.
Dorel:
Eddie Bauer SureFit 6” bottom slots, 4” to crotch strap 4 lb lower weight limit​
Safety 1st On Board 4 pounds lower weight limit.
Graco:
Assura 7.5” bottom slots, from birth, no lower weight limit (only available in institutional packs of 5 at this time)
Nania/Team Tex:
Baby Ride From birth, no lower weight limit.

Car seats with harness heights 8 inches or lower:

Baby Trend:
LATCH-Loc 5.5” bottom slots
Flex-Loc 5.5” bottom slots
EZ-Loc 5.5” bottom slots
Combi:
Centre ST 6.5” bottom slots
Centre EX/DX 7.5 with lower infant insert, 8” without lower insert bottom slots
Dorel–Cosco/Safety 1st:
Arriva/Turnabout 8” bottom slots, *
Eddie Bauer Infant 7” bottom slots, *
Designer 22 7” bottom slots;
Evenflo:
Embrace 4” bottom slots with lower infant insert, 4.5” bottom slots without insert.
Graco:
Snug Ride 7.5” bottom slots
Infant Safe Seat 6.5” bottom slots
Peg Perego:
Primo Viagio SIP 6.5” bottom slots. Head pad provides side impact protection and cannot be removed; however some practitioners report that, due to its location, it may push a shorter preemie’s head forward.​
Convertible Car seats with harness heights 8 inches or lower:

Dorel:
Cosco Scenera 7” inches
Maxi Cosi Priori 6” bottom slot
Evenflo :
Titan 6” bottom slots with lower pad, 6.5” bottom slots without lower pad
Triumph Advance 7” with infant insert, 8” bottom slots without infant insert
Triumph 7.5” bottom slots
Tribute 8” bottom slots
Vanguard 7.25” bottom slots
Graco
Comfort Sport 7.5” bottom slots
Learning Curve
True Fit 7” bottom slots with infant padding installed 9.5” without infant padding…Infant padding must be used with the bottom slot.​
Sunshine Kids Juvenile Products
Radian 65 8” bottom slot​
Radian 80 7.5 with infant insert, 8” without infant insert​

Car beds:

Angel Guard Products:
Angel Ride Infant Car Bed birth to 9 pounds; order from Mercury Distributing, 800-815-6330; www.mercurydistributing.com -- designed specifically for premature infants.​
Dorel:
Cosco Dream Ride SE 5 to 20 pounds, 800-544-1108, www.djgusa.com
Snug Seat:
Snug Seat Car Bed birth to 21 pounds, (discontinued—some hospitals may have loaners available), 800-336-7684, www.snugseat.com This seat may be re-issued.​

Pixels

The crotch strap on the ComfortSport is about 6 inches from the bight. My 9 month old is still way away from reaching it, if you want to include that info.

The infant insert can be purchased separately and used on any of the Radians (65, 80, XT). All 3 models have the same slots, so the numbers will be the same on all of them (8 inches without, 7.5 with).

The Arriva and Eddie Bauer have an * after them - why?

I'm pretty sure the Graco SafeSeat has been renamed the SnugRide or SnugRide32, something like that. Someone else should be able to tell you for sure.

The infant padding on the TrueFit must be used until the child's shoulders reach the bottom slot without it. It is ok to use the harness in the bottom slot without the infant padding, as long as the shoulders are at or above the slots.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Bumping to say:

The Radian's bottom slots are really about 9" without infant padding. The padding can be purchased separately (sold as ComfySoft) and can be used in the 65, 80, OR XT. The Radian's insert does not actually shorten the difference between the bottom of the seat and the bottom slot but it seems to cradle the child differently and make them fit better anyway.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Is 9 what they say on the website? I think they measure without even the cover on, since their measurements are so different from what most people can get. 9 just seems really high considering how well newborns fit in it, is all...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter's torso was 10 inches at birth, and yeah, she was just about 1" over the bottom slots. 9 is very accurate, from my measurements. I don't know what they officially give.

featherhead

My daughter's torso was 10 inches at birth, and yeah, she was just about 1" over the bottom slots. 9 is very accurate, from my measurements. I don't know what they officially give.

I'm curious to know when you moved her up to the 2nd slots. I sat dd2 in a Radian in the house the other day, and she needed the second slots (this was at 3 weeks old). She was wearing a cloth diaper, but without it I think she would still have been very close to needing the 2nd slots.

Pixels

I'm curious to know when you moved her up to the 2nd slots. I sat dd2 in a Radian in the house the other day, and she needed the second slots (this was at 3 weeks old). She was wearing a cloth diaper, but without it I think she would still have been very close to needing the 2nd slots.

Wow. My one year old is on the second slots.

Nine inches is the "official" measurement from SKJP. Just now I measured it at 7.5-8 inches with light compression of the cover. Mine has the memory foam, so that's a half inch there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

We don't CD, and I think she was on the 2nd slots at around 3 or 4 weeks. Loooong torso baby.

When I had it almost fully reclined, she was on the 4th slots (about 1/4 inch over) at about 7 months. I re-installed more upright and had to move her back down to the 3rd. Now she's on the 3rd but I think I'll be moving her back up soon; she's done some leg growing but she's moving into another torso growth stage again and her shoulders are beginning to be majorly squished by the straps in her seat.

The one I brought her home in did not have the memory foam, maybe that's why 9 was more accurate? With the memory foam, yeah, you could get 1/4-1/2 inch on that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC