Car seat recs needed for Jeep Compass 2021

minismom

Hi all,
I’m a former car seat tech and used to be a regular on this board. It’s been a while.

I’m hoping to get some help to pick seats for my brother. Because he’s abroad, I can’t readily test seats on his car. I have to bring them to him and hope it works. He has a 17 month old DD (30” and 20lbs) and a 4 month old DD (24” and 13lbs).

17mo is currently in a nextfit RF. She still needs the angle 2 for travel when she sleeps. When she’s awake they have it on 4.

4mo in in a key fit.

They have a Jeep Compass 2021 and my brother and his wife are both tall. The Nextfit is behind the driver. It fits but they don’t love it when my brother drives.

The main issue is that they often have a third adult that needs to sit in the back. Right now, both seats are in the outboard positions and the adult sits in the middle. My brother is worried that when the baby outgrows the infant carrier and he has two rear facing seats on outboard positions nobody will be able to climb past a seat to sit in the middle.

My first thought was to get him two Radians in hopes I can fit one in the center and leave an outboard position free. But I’m concerned that as long as at least one of the kids needs the seat reasonably reclined the Radia might take up too much space front to back.

My brother wants me to look into one of these newest seats that swivel and he thinks someone will able to climb to the center seat if he has one of those in one of the outboard positions. I’m skeptical and have no experience with any of these seats.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Radians or any other recommendations of seats that will fit two side by side? I want to find a solution they’re happy with so they don’t turn the oldest DD forward right when she turns two. RF is not very common where they are so even getting to 2yo is not the norm for them. Unfortunately large cars are also hard to come by there and I know they’ll have a third baby maybe in 2-3 years. The largest car they’ll ever get to have when they upgrade will be about the size of a Volvo XC90.

Thank you!
MM

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't choose a Radian (will take up a LOT of room front to back) or a rotating seat (ditto, and also won't rotate in certain configurations.)

My suggestion is to get two Graco SlimFit 3 LX/True3Fit (two names, same seat) for both kids, and place them middle and outboard, so a third passenger can sit on the other side. They should fit side by side, as they are the narrowest on the market; they will fit very compactly front to back; they are long lasting for taller kids rear and forward facing than many convertibles; and they will fit with another seat when that time comes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC