Cybex Sirona S - BMW X7

I was looking at the Cybex Sirona S as a possibility for my X7, but then ran across some condo saying it can’t swivel in FF mode unless the top tether isn’t used (or is loosened/redone each time). There was info from Cybex stating “The Sirona S convertible car seat includes a tether for forward-facing use and typically, CYBEX recommends the use of tether when installing a car seat in a forward-facing position. The Sirona S innovative load leg feature, however, like a tether, is designed to reduce seat movement in the event of a crash, so use of the tether is not required in forward-facing mode for this seat when using the load leg.”

Now that it’s been out for awhile, does anyone have more thoughts on this? It seems silly to purchase a rotating seat if I can’t use it FF.

(I have an opportunity to purchase this used from a trusted person, but I won’t have the ability to install and play around with it before purchase. DH would be picking it up while traveling and bringing ur back to me.)

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I was looking at the Cybex Sirona S as a possibility for my X7, but then ran across some condo saying it can’t swivel in FF mode unless the top tether isn’t used (or is loosened/redone each time). There was info from Cybex stating “The Sirona S convertible car seat includes a tether for forward-facing use and typically, CYBEX recommends the use of tether when installing a car seat in a forward-facing position. The Sirona S innovative load leg feature, however, like a tether, is designed to reduce seat movement in the event of a crash, so use of the tether is not required in forward-facing mode for this seat when using the load leg.”

Now that it’s been out for awhile, does anyone have more thoughts on this? It seems silly to purchase a rotating seat if I can’t use it FF.

(I have an opportunity to purchase this used from a trusted person, but I won’t have the ability to install and play around with it before purchase. DH would be picking it up while traveling and bringing ur back to me.)
Yeah, that's unfortunately true and it's one of its two main drawbacks. You can choose not to tether the seat while FF, but tethers do improve performance in side impacts; a load leg may nor may not, depending on whether or not there's forward motion in the crash.

Another of its big drawbacks is that it is somewhat difficult to install in certain vehicles. Since you won't be able to try it out first, it may be a seat you want to pass on.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

I have had the load leg be incompatible in a few vehicles so far. I no longer even do travel service on this seat for this reason, since telling a parent the key feature cannot be used will result in an unhappy client and/or no payment. Plus, every parent is disappointed when they learn it cannot rotate from rear-to-forward facing without adjusting or detaching the top tether.

Since you are really paying for the load leg feature that is not on other rotating car seats, be sure you get a free returns policy wherever you buy. Personally, I would not buy a used one sight unseen unless you can try it first elsewhere or your friend will take it back if it doesn't work out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC