Vent Not inlove with my Marathon :(

NannyMom

Awww, I totally understand! While I love my Marathon it's not for everybody! I think you've gotten a lot of good advice. I have to say though it's not really the best idea to be reaching into the backseat while driving anyway. :eek:

I really hope you get this all figured out!

I know it's not the safest idea (though now this marathon makes it even less safe). But what does everyone else do when your spending hours in the car with a toddler (possibly cranky) who will need a drink or a snack at some point? Do you pull over every time?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The car used for installation demos at www.carseatsite.com is a Sienna, maybe you could get some ideas there?

You can also take the black belt guard off if you want to be able to reach the straps (it's only to prevent a lap/shoulderbelt from getting tangled in the harness when FF).

And yeah, she's tiny, but she's not going to shrink, you'll always need a bigger seat (ie, the Titan won't last forever )... did you ever try a Radian in that spot? That's really low-sided and easy to reach things to kiddos.

I think the Marathon isn't always love at first sight, but it grows on most of us :cool:

fyrfightermomma

Can I return it with a different cover? :confused:

Pretty sure you can't. I mean, why would you want to? Technically wouldn't that be stealing the cover if you returned it with a used cover?

Not trying to be nitpicky but I can't see why anyone would think you could return a seat with a used cover on it while they kept the brand new cover :twocents: (and it's not directed completely at you....I've heard this before here when people ask if they could swap straps or HUGS or a cover and then return a seat)

wow mine latch straps are't lined up with that either. not sure if this helps but i have an older ma and the part to line it up with is in the top corner of the label. not like yours that looks like a seperate sticker. here is no way mine could line up of my seat would be straight up and down.. i tried if i line it up the back of my seat is no longer on the seat but in the air.
babies rus probably won't take it back. you could play the dumb card and say you bought it and then ot home and opened it and it had a different cover on it. iknow its not the most honest thing to do. is the cover you switched for similair to the one it should have. which is it maybe someone on here has one you could swap again.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Has Britax positioned the "LATCH straps here for RF" sticker too far toward the front edge of the MA on some seats? While NannyMom hasn't posted pictures showing the sticker on the side of her MA, looking at MissAllyLou's Blvd. photo and Mattkern's MA photo, it looks like the sticker's position is different and more toward the front edge of the seat in Mattkern's MA photo, and perhaps this is the case on NannyMom's seat as well? :twocents:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This was just a quick installation, so I hadn't hooked the RF tether yet, but this is how the BV looked in my car when it was still RF:
DSC_0157-1.jpg

Another:
DSC_1694-1-1.jpg

Apparently I do have that sticker. :eek: You can somewhat see it in this picture.
DSC_1981.jpg

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
you could play the dumb card and say you bought it and then ot home and opened it and it had a different cover on it. iknow its not the most honest thing to do. is the cover you switched for similair to the one it should have. which is it maybe someone on here has one you could swap again.

That goes beyond "not the most honest". Don't do that. Once she swapped the cover, she pretty much decided she wasn't returning the seat to the store.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't worry about the LATCH sticker, though I would be curious to hear Britax's take on it. (From Sarah Tilton or the like--not from customer service.)

OP- Where is the original cover? Do you still have it, or did you swap it with someone for the cover you have now? How long have you had the seat?

lorinick

Yes, the box does have a little pic of the cover. And no, it's not an absolutely brand new cover.

Will BRU restock a returned carseat? I have another issue.... WHen trying to install, the LATCH got a little stuck under the base. WHen I tightened the LATCH it came right up (from under the base (got unstuck) and the little lip on the corner of the base bent up :eek: I called Britax and the guy asked me to send pics. I told him I couldn't, but you wouldn't see anything anyway. It fixed itself and I really don't think it's noticable. He said if you don't see anything it should be fine. But...I know I wouldn't want to buy a carseat that had happened to.

Maybe I'll see how it fits in DH's Durango.
As too returning a car seat with a different cover. I work at a BRU store in car seats. Our store opens every box. If the CS associate doesn't know what seat it is the dept. would be called up to look the over. I would decline your return and say it's not what the box states it is. If you don't like the seat you should swap it or sell it on line. It's not the store's fault or Britax's where the store will send it too. Once you change the seat cover it's your seat. Just my :twocents:

NannyMom

The car used for installation demos at www.carseatsite.com is a Sienna, maybe you could get some ideas there?

You can also take the black belt guard off if you want to be able to reach the straps (it's only to prevent a lap/shoulderbelt from getting tangled in the harness when FF).

And yeah, she's tiny, but she's not going to shrink, you'll always need a bigger seat (ie, the Titan won't last forever )... did you ever try a Radian in that spot? That's really low-sided and easy to reach things to kiddos.

I think the Marathon isn't always love at first sight, but it grows on most of us :cool:

I will check out that website tonight, thanks. I know the TItan won't last forever. She has about 2 inches before she outgrows it. I'm hoping 2 inches = 2 years. If so, then she'll be about 4 when she outgrows it RF (if she hasn't gained another 12 pounds before then). If this can make it until we can FF, then I'll be fine. Maybe my estimates are wrong though.

THis weekend I'll start apprenticing with the Car Seat Lady. I'll see if she can get it in any differently (maybe if we recline it more?).

I wouldn't worry about the LATCH sticker, though I would be curious to hear Britax's take on it. (From Sarah Tilton or the like--not from customer service.)

OP- Where is the original cover? Do you still have it, or did you swap it with someone for the cover you have now? How long have you had the seat?

Britax told me it's ok. She asked if it was tight, and angled correctly, and told me I could use a noodle or towel (I already have a big rolled towel).

As for the cover, I traded with someone on here. I think she may kill me if I return it with the Ashley Floral cover :whistle: She'd rather trade back. I bought the seat on Aug 15, so almost a week.

Misty-Bug

Can I return it with a different cover? :confused:

and no you can't.
Will BRU restock a returned carseat? ...I know I wouldn't want to buy a carseat that had happened to.

you wouldn't want to buy a seat that it happened to so don't return it. Get a picture so Britax can replace it. If you can't and if it fixed itself then there really is no point to take it back. If it does it again take a picture for Britax or raise a stink until they replace it

you could play the dumb card and say you bought it and then ot home and opened it and it had a different cover on it. iknow its not the most honest thing to do.

not only is it not the "most honest thing to do" but it is COMPLETELY wrong. It is lying. How would you feel if you opened a box that you thought had a new seat in it to find a different cover? I am sure you would be livid. I know I would be. That should not have even been a suggestion at all. Wrong on so many levels......:twocents:

Heather98012

I'm trying to understand this: You want to return a seat that was bent in one spot & has a different cover on it to the store & receive a full refund for it? What on earth makes you think a full refund is warranted?

I dunno....if I worked at BRUs, I'd likely email the district manager in MD & have him/her notify all stores to be on the lookout for a possible returned seat with a different cover.

It's simply not fair to the retailer, not fair to Britax, & it's not fair to a future customer if they were to somehow buy that seat. :thumbsdown:

MissAllyLou

Has Britax positioned the "LATCH straps here for RF" sticker too far toward the front edge of the MA on some seats? While NannyMom hasn't posted pictures showing the sticker on the side of her MA, looking at MissAllyLou's Blvd. photo and Mattkern's MA photo, it looks like the sticker's position is different and more toward the front edge of the seat in Mattkern's MA photo, and perhaps this is the case on NannyMom's seat as well? :twocents:

Good catch! Both my BLVD and MA have stickers in the same place, but the LATCH hooks line up with them just fine. I wonder if Nannymom's sticker was placed too far back, and MattKern's, too. If my LATCH anchors were placed where MattKern's sticker is, my seat would be at a 90 degree angle.

MissAllyLou

THis weekend I'll start apprenticing with the Car Seat Lady.

I just hope you realize that you can't be advising people to do dishonest and unsafe things with their seats if you are going to be a tech. People rely on us to help keep their kids safe, and to have one tech giving bad advice makes all of us look bad, and makes parents weary of trusting us. Returning a used seat with a different and used cover is nothing short of wrong. :twocents:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Whoa, I'm shocked that you would even feel comfortable advertising that you were even thinking of stealing like that.

What you're saying is the equivilent of me putting a Boy George CD in a George Straight case and using reciept for George Straight CD to get a refund. George Straight is far more desirable, of course. I want to keep him, but man, the case was ugly! Argh.

If you've already traded the cover, suck it up and sell it on ebay or CL, but don't steal from everybody and return it with a used cover. Yuck.

Misty-Bug

THis weekend I'll start apprenticing with the Car Seat Lady. I'll see if she can get it in any differently (maybe if we recline it more?).

Britax told me it's ok. She asked if it was tight, and angled correctly, and told me I could use a noodle or towel (I already have a big rolled towel).
Remember not to use too big of a towel. It will compress in an accident.

I am sorry to say this...as there is no way to say it without coming across sounding like a biotch but......
I really don't think you are ready to be apprecnticing with someone. Once you don't have thoughts of returning a damaged seat in a box for a refund or even returning it with the wrong cover then you may be ready to train. I don't think it looks good on any tech, or want to be trained tech, if you give out advice like that or do things like that.
I am sorry but we all have learning to do but I think you might want to just think a bit more about it.....unless you are never even going to think that again.

I know I may be hated but I guess that is a risk I am going to take.

Last edited:

NannyMom

I'm trying to understand this: You want to return a seat that was bent in one spot & has a different cover on it to the store & receive a full refund for it? What on earth makes you think a full refund is warranted?

I dunno....if I worked at BRUs, I'd likely email the district manager in MD & have him/her notify all stores to be on the lookout for a possible returned seat with a different cover.

It's simply not fair to the retailer, not fair to Britax, & it's not fair to a future customer if they were to somehow buy that seat. :thumbsdown:

Britax told me the seat was fine. It will be returned with it's original cover. When I return it, I'll be happy to mention how the corner had bent. THe bent corner is NOT the reason I want to return it. When I take it out of my van, I'll look closer to see if anything on the corner is picture worty for another call/ email to Britax. I will let them know that it is not BNIB, but used and didn't work in my van. I know I can return a carseat that I've tried out, but I've never had to do that. If I tell the store what happened to my seat, how is that stealing? How is that my fault if they are morons (Not saying everyone there is a moron) and put it back out? Should I insist that Britax replace the seat even though there is no sign of damage? I will call Britax today and see what they say. I have to ask them about something else anyway.

As a tech I will not suggest a parent return a seat like that, I guess I've learned my lesson. Silly me for being a struggling Mom not wanting to waste $200.

Last edited:

NannyMom

It's not a HUGE towel. It just bigger when rolled up then some others I've used. It's still a bath size towel (not a bath sheet, a bath towel). I've put so much pressue on the seat to get it in tight, I don't think it can possibly compress any more. I know all you need is less then 1 inch of movement, but I get no movement.

EDITED

Last edited:

NannyMom

If I really wanted to be dishonest and steal, would I have even asked the questions to begin with? Looking back, I'm sorry I asked them. I knew it was wrong, guess I needed someone to agree that it was. I'm sorry some of you think I'm a horrible person for thinking of "stealing".

When your a sturggling Mom that has to fight for half the money that comes into the home (and sometimes you don't get it for over a month!) $200+ is nothing to just shrug off. I guess this will be the last time I buy a Britax seat. Then if I don't like it, it's not a HUGE waste of money.

And for those that WERE trying to help me, I'm going to try and get software on DH's computer this weekend to post pictures of where my sticker is. THank you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC